The Alberta Research Council (ARC) originated as Canada's first provincial research and development organization of its kind in 1921, evolving into an applied research and development (R&D) corporation that developed and commercialized technology to grow innovative enterprises. ARC specialized in converting early stage ideas into marketable technology products and services.
The organization served more than 950 customers and partners around the world in the energy, life sciences, agriculture, environment, forestry and manufacturing sectors. ARC's key lines of business were: applied research; technology assessment; technology development and demonstration; technology commercialization; consultation and policy development; and testing and analysis.
ARC employed over 600 scientists, engineers, and professional staff that operated in five facilities located throughout Alberta - Edmonton, Calgary, Vegreville and Devon. Through these staff and facility resources, customers gained access to leading edge expertise, equipment and specialized laboratories. ARC offered a variety of flexible working arrangements to meet its customers' needs, including joint ventures, consortia and strategic partnerships.